MAX: The Dutch Master - The unauthorised biography of Max Verstappen
This product is currently sold out.
The Dutch Master
The unauthorised biography of Max Verstappen
By André Hoogeboom
Max Verstappen is Formula 1’s sensational new superstar. Born into motorsport, Max started karting aged four and in 2015 became the youngest driver ever to race in F1, less than six months after his 17th birthday. Following his first Grand Prix victory in 2016, he quickly established himself as a future World Champion and by 2021 his goal was in sight. Like a true Dutch Master, he has brought fresh artistry into F1 and made this most glamorous of sports even more exciting. This unauthorised biography, written by a leading Dutch F1 journalist, examines Max’s remarkable rise to worldwide fame, covering every step of his career in detail as well providing insights into his spirited character and supreme talent.
- Early days: nurtured by racing driver father Jos, Max had a long apprenticeship in karting, from a first title in Belgium in 2006 to the climax in 2013 as World KZ Champion in the top KZ1 category.
- Rapid single-seater gestation: only 12 months elapsed between his first single-seater experience, a Formula Renault evaluation at Pembrey in South Wales, and his F1 test-driving role with Scuderia Toro Rosso (Red Bull’s junior team) in 2014.
- The fairytale begins: after débuting in Australia, his full F1 season with Toro Rosso in 2015 brought ten points-scoring finishes — and much acclaim.
- Transfer to Red Bull: Max was elevated to the ‘senior’ team for the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix — and almost miraculously became F1’s youngest ever winner first time out.
- F1 consolidation: ever-growing maturity in each of the next three seasons brought seven more F1 victories, culminating in Honda-powered 2019 delivering third place in the championship standings.
- The championship beckons: following pandemic-afflicted 2020, Max soon emerged as championship favourite in 2021, intent on toppling Lewis Hamilton from his throne.
- Expert assessments: insights from three-time World Champion Sir Jackie Stewart and leading journalists Peter Windsor and Will Buxton.
Publication date: 17 February 2022
Format: 234x156mm hardback
Page extent: 320
Illustration: 110 photos
André Hoogeboom is a Dutch journalist and writer specialising in Formula 1, and currently runs his own press and consultancy agency. His unauthorised biography of Max Verstappen was first published in The Netherlands in 2016 and has now been much expanded and adapted to bring it up to date and to suit English-speaking audiences. His other books about motorsport include a history of Zandvoort (his country’s premier racetrack), a reconstruction of the adventures of Dutch car manufacturer Spyker (including its short-lived F1 experience), and two novels, Deadly Ambition and Sabotage. He lives in Alkmaar, near Amsterdam.