TOM KRISTENSEN: THE BOOK
This product is currently sold out.
By Tom Kristensen
PUBLICATION DATE August 2021
With nine victories, he holds the record for the most wins at the Le Mans 24 Hours — and he has written motorsport history. The Book, however, is more than just Tom Kristensen’s chronicle of his successes at Le Mans: it takes the reader on an exciting journey through four decades full of emotions — from petrol pumps at his parents’ filling station in Denmark to champagne showers in front of 250,000 fans at the world’s greatest motor race. Private and never-seen-before pictures, untold stories, new facts and personal insights as told by Kristensen himself make The Book unique. Published in a very large, sumptuous format to best display its superb photographs, The Book will be treasured by the Danish hero’s legions of fans and all motorsport enthusiasts captivated by the Le Mans 24 Hours.
- Early years: growing up in Denmark; a close-knit, happy, supportive family; huge success in karting; from penniless talent to Formula 3 champion, in Germany in 1991.
- Four successful years in Japan: a second Formula 3 title, with the Tom’s team in 1993; starring in Formula 3000; showing his versatility in touring cars; living a different life in Japan.
- Back to Europe: flashes of brilliance in Formula 3000; racing for Honda in touring cars, including in Britain’s BTCC; tastes of Formula 1 with test roles at Tyrrell and Williams, and for Michelin.
- Victory at Le Mans as a rookie in 1997, with Joest Racing’s TWR-Porsche; two fruitless Le Mans outings with BMW follow, but there is another famous début win, in the Sebring 12 Hours in 1999.
- Audi works driver: Le Mans hat-trick, 2000–2002, each time with Frank Biela and Emanuele Pirro in the all-conquering R8 — a unique achievement.
- Bentley Boy, winning Le Mans in 2003; two more Le Mans wins with privateer teams, Team Goh (2004) and Champion Racing (2005), both in Audi R8s.
- Diesel-powered: epic fights with Peugeot, none more so than at Le Mans in 2008, an incredible race that brought Kristensen his eighth victory there.
- His darkest moment: the horrific crash at Hockenheim on 22 April 2007, driving an Audi A4 touring car — but he recovers in time for Le Mans eight weeks later.
- Going global: racing the Audi T18 worldwide; World Champion in 2013, his most successful season, which also brings a highly emotional ninth Le Mans victory.
- Concluding sections: thoughts on fitness and teamwork; his favourite cars, races and tracks; complete results listing.
Publication date: August 2021
Page extent: 304
Illustration: over 650 photos
Born in 1967 in Hobro, Denmark, Tom Kristensen is the most successful racer of sports cars there has ever been, with record tallies of victories in the Le Mans 24 Hours (nine) and the Sebring 12 Hours (six). He wrote this book in collaboration with Lars Krone.